Monday, May 26

The Theology of Ironman...


Russ and I really enjoy watching a good movie together. Our favorite type of movie is of the rather fantastic, comic book super-hero action-adventure variety.  Almost always, we see spiritual parallels in these stories … and Ironman is no exception.

In the movie, weapons designer Tony Stark finds himself captured by enemy forces and near death.  (I’ve been there … spiritually speaking.)  Enter:  Dr. Yentsin.  He not only keeps Stark alive but also proves, in fact, to be instrumental in his becoming Ironman. As Dr. Yentsin pays the ultimate price for Stark’s freedom, he utters his last words … “don’t waste your life”.  Implications abound … for Stark and for us.

With my old, sinful heart, I was a lot like Stark.  Cavalier. Selfish. Clueless as to the real meaning of life.  Enter:  Jesus.  He gave His life to rescue me from The Enemy, gave me a new heart, and began building me into the woman I will one day become.  He’s still tweaking me, making adjustments, helping me to use the power He provides most effectively.  In Colossians 1.10, the Apostle Paul urges believers to “… live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God”.  This is a wonderful description of a life not wasted.   As you can see on the big screen, Stark didn’t waste his life, and I am not wasting mine.  Oh - just in case you're wondering - I'll fly one day, too!

No comments: