Sunday, May 11

More Lessons from the Pool ...


1 Corinthians 13.11 "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. But when I became mature, I put childish ways behind me.”

I have always loved the water. As a toddler, I would splash around in knee-deep water until my mom gave me her "final" warning to get out, often accompanied by my being physically removed from the pool! As a special treat we'd sometimes go to to the beach, where I'd pause only long enough for Dad to get a quick shot with the Polaroid before hitting the waves. When I was five I learned how to swim ... and even won a ribbon at swimming lessons. (Along with everyone else in the class, but hey, a ribbon is a ribbon!) As I grew older and more skilled, I would dive into the deep end of the pool with no fear at all. It was so much fun! The crowning aquatic achievement of my life was passing the Red Cross lifeguard class taught at the local college, in which I saved numerous, albeit pretend, victims from watery graves. I would come home from those three-hour classes completely exhausted and totally amazed at the strength and endurance of a 98-lb. high school student! Upon further reflection, I see a progression that translates well to my spiritual life.

As a new believer, I would splash around in the Scriptures. I’d jump in and out of them sporadically, hardly getting wet at all. It was fun but not very satisfying. With the help and encouragement of others, I began to immerse myself in the Word. Not only reading but actually obeying the Scriptures led to much progress in my Christian life. I found that the more Jesus revealed to me … about who He is and who I am … the greater desire I had to follow Him. Even into Water that was over my head! I began studying the Word … and applying it to my life. Throughout our time together, the Lord has equipped me with truth and skills that can be used to really save lives. And I often come home … exhausted and amazed … not at myself but at Him whose blood stained the definitive red cross.

No comments: