Friday, March 28

PRIVACY ...


Some things are meant to be kept private.  Like my Social Security number ... and my weight. Admittedly, as a mother of three, very little of my life is lived out in anything even remotely resembling privacy.  I am watched ... and followed ... and questioned ... mostly by people who are shorter than me.  And I'm okay with that since most things in life aren't meant to be kept secret.  Like faith in Jesus Christ.  I wonder how He would fit into a culture which not only encourages but quite often demands that we keep our beliefs to ourselves.  Faith is a private matter between me and my god ... or so I am told.  Somehow, I don't see Jesus teaching that. Scripture teaches that real faith must be lived out in public.  However, a public faith is not a pushy faith, demanding belief.  It is not a prosperity-driven faith that tells people Jesus will waive a magic wand and make all their problems disappear.  It is not a proud, "Oh, don't you want to be just like me?" faith.  It is more of  a pointing faith ... not pointing at people who don't believe, but pointing people to Christ.  Don't worry ... those who are on the receiving end of such faith (via love and compassion)  won't mind that you let the cat out of the bag.

No comments: