Wednesday, March 19

Can you hear me now?

As you might imagine, because of its location, El Paso has a very large Hispanic community.  The influence of the Hispanic culture is everywhere. And the Spanish language is spoken everywhere.  So, when the saleslady at the jewelry counter of my favorite Target asks if I need any help, I respond, "No, gracias. Estoy solemente mirando."  She smiles.  She seems to appreciate the fact that I am learning her language, even if I am "only looking" at the jewelry.

My question is:  How well do we, as the church, speak the language of the lost?  The language of everyday life, of shared experiences, of genuine concern that translates the love of Christ into words that will be heard and understood.  When we share our faith with non-believers, are we so caught up in sounding spiritual - in using some kind of "Christianese" - that we're oblivious to the fact that no one understands it?  Or are we simply trying to communicate that God loves people ... that we love people ... even if they're only looking?   


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the thought...recently, I drove down Ressler Drive and saw a huge new banner at University Pres church. It says "fellowship every Sunday at 10am" I wonder, how attractive is the word fellowship to my neighbors? Do they know what it means? Do they even resonate with the concept anymore? How are we doing as a Church in speaking the language of those we're trying to reach...not those who are already on the journey?