Saturday, November 22

Waiting...

OK, just when I thought I'd heard it all...  

Last night I told Sam it was time for his shower.  As usual, this 9-year-old boy was not happy.  But at least his response made me laugh.  He just wishes there was something fun to do while he's waiting.  "Waiting for what?" I ask.  With his expression saying "duuh", he answers, "To get out of the shower, Mom."  It was then that I informed him there IS something he can do ... it's called bathing.

As I reflect on this humorous conversation,  it occurs to me that in a way I do the very same thing.  As everyday opportunities stare me right in the face, I find myself waiting for some great need, important task, or  profound revelation.  As I pass the time waiting for my "big chance" to serve Jesus,  I completely miss the immediate need of a new acquaintance. Obviously, (to everyone but me) the most critical ministry Jesus invites me to participate in is to share His love.  This, Scripture says, can be as easy as handing someone a Dixie cup.   My prayer is that I'll recognize any and all opportunities to love God by loving people ... and that my son will remember to use soap.

No comments: