Friday, July 18

Understanding...

Russ & I attend a Bible study on Thursday nights.  Right now we’re working our way through the book of Ecclesiastes. Despite Solomon’s great wisdom and understanding, he often communicates tremendous frustration.  While no one would ever confuse me with Solomon when it comes to wisdom, understanding brings a certain amount of frustration to my life as well.

Someone in the group spoke of a man who said of his 50+ year walk with the Lord:  “The hardest thing is continuing to follow a God I don’t understand”.  I see his point.  Who can fully comprehend the Almighty … the Alpha & Omega … the Creator and Sustainer of all things seen and unseen?  Not me!  Job 36.26 says it best, “How great is God … beyond our understanding!” Even so, the brunt of my struggle is in obediently following the God I do understand.

I understand that I was spiritually dead until Christ brought me to life. (Rom. 8.10) I understand I must speak out of love … always. (Eph. 4.15) I understand that I must make disciples, teaching others to follow Him. (Matt 28.19-20) I understand that I am to spend time daily in His Word. (Matt. 4.4, Luke 11.3)   I understand that I am to pour out my heart in prayer to a listening God. (Phil. 4.6)  I understand that I am to trust God for every need in my life. (Matt 6.33)  I understand that I am to share Christ not keeping Him all to myself. (2 Corin. 5.20) I understand I am to train my children in the ways of the Lord. (Deut. 4.9)  I understand that I am to give money to support those who have pledged their lives to full-time ministry. (1 Corin. 9.13) I understand I am to know the Scriptures. (Ps. 119.11) I understand that I am to be holy because He is holy. (1 Peter 1.15) I understand Jesus is the only Way to be reconciled to this Holy God, and I am to put the word out! (2 Corin. 5.18-19) I understand being a good person does not get me to heaven, but that I was created to do good works. (Eph. 2.8-10) I understand I am to love God with my whole being.  I understand that I am to love people. (Mark 12.30-31) Thankfully, I also understand that Christ not only requires my obedience ... He also enables it. (Phil. 4.13)

No comments: