Sunday, January 4

The Bird Feeder...


"Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!"  Luke 12.24 

This Sunday Russ & I taught the 2nd grade class during Children's Worship at Chapel.  Actually, Russ did most of the teaching; I was in charge of crowd control, i.e. gently telling the little girls to stop chit-chatting.  Sam helped out as well by passing out papers, picking up crayons and such.  Today our lesson had us reinforce the main point ... "Jesus cares about the hungry"... by repeating the phrase several times throughout the hour.   Little did I know that I would see that truth played out right before my very eyes!

Since today was the kick-off for the new Sunday School session, we had planned a brunch ... for the adults.  We figured the best to introduce the new classes was with food, perhaps attesting to the influence of the Baptist congregates.  The children were to go to their classes while the grown-ups dined on homemade casseroles and hot coffee.  There was only one problem:  despite the fact that he had eaten breakfast, my growing boy was hungry!    And he was vocal about it.  As I ushered him off to his class, I did feel a little guilty, knowing the mouth-watering spread which awaited me.   The Chaplain's announcement that there would be snacks in the children's classes brought some much needed comfort to this mom's soul.   Having finally worked my way to the coffee pot at the end of a long row of  tables, I began to survey the room for a place to sit.  That's when I saw Sam ... with a plateful of food and a smile on his face.  As I sat down next to him, he explained that his Sunday School teacher was absent and that he was told to go eat brunch with his parents.  "So, Mom... I guess Jesus really does care about the hungry," he said.  I had to agree.

No comments: