Wednesday, April 16

Stuck in the middle with ... me

I's right in the middle of sin.  Now, before you start e-mailing me about my grammar, let me explain.  I'm talking about "I" ... the letter ... and the pronoun.  If we could somehow compile a comprehensive list cataloging each and every sin known to man, at the center of each one would be a great big "I".  I as in "I will make my own choices in life".  I as in "I will do what I want to do, and I don't care how it affects you."  I as in "I want to be well thought of, so I lie about my income."  I as in "I gave you my word, but whatever I promised just isn't convenient ... for me."  I as in "I want this, so I will take it."    At the root of every sinful thought, action, word is ... selfishness.  

Eve was thinking of herself when she took the bait, Abraham thought of saving his own skin when he told Sarah to lie about about  being his wife;  King David was looking to satisfy his own appetite as he pursued another man's wife; and Judas was looking to line his own pocket when he sold Jesus out .  There is evidence peppered throughout Scripture that selfishness is at the root of sin, and honestly, I can see the same thing by examining my own life.   Jesus was never selfish, though!  As Jesus, God  became completely self-less so that we would have a human example to follow.  Jesus set aside everything to which He was entitled in order to serve God and those around Him.  There is no "I" in Jesus.


No comments: